Placing camera move with in specific spot on timeline

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
D.T. Nethery

Re: Placing camera move with in specific spot on timeline

Post by D.T. Nethery »

djsolomon wrote:Ok, so how can I plot a long pan with a zoom at the end with ease in and ease out - in this little space?

Here's my suggestion for when you need to combine a long pan with a truck-in at the end : Do the long pan move first up to the point where the pan has finished , then go to Project menu -- Render Camera to New Project .

Now in the New Project (which will have rendered your pan move) go to the last frame and stretch it out for however long you want the truck-in move to be --- let's say the truck-in is 96 frames , so extend the last frame 96 frames. Now set up the Camera Tool profile editor to hold (flat line) up to the point where you want the truck-in to start , then do the truck-in move over the additional 96 frames. And Render Camera to New Project. Now your scene will have the long pan combined with the truck-in at the end. (at this point if it all looks good you can just dump the previous "new project" that had rendered the pan move only) .
djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

the profiler will not let me drag it out any further...
I guess i have to add a few hundred frames on the other side...
djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

Hi DTNethery- thank you for the suggestion... i dont like to complicate things... its a 2.5 field pan with a truck in at the end... I think of it as one move and plotting it out in parts just feels clunky
but thank you for your suggestion- it is very much appreciated.
my best debra
Paul Fierlinger

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

I had to try this myself and find doing what I described no problem. First of all,, just selecting Spline will give you automatically an "S" curve which needs no tweaking. But secondly, if you want to play around with the shape, simply drag the curve to the left, change the shape, and then drag it back to the right. Is this by the way a single clip with no edits?
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

hi I dont as yet work in clips...maybe soon ... the pan up is in a short scene
thanks for the spline tip ... will try that
bestd
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

divide the clip into two smaller clips.
Fabrice Debarge
artfx

Post by artfx »

I agree with Paul, this can be done as one camera move. You can make the graph editor, or progress profile window, of the camera as big as you want. If you scrub through the timeline with the window open, you will see a little blue line that shows exactly at what point on the curve your frame occurs. You can get very precise with anything you want to do. A flat, horizontal curve means nothing is happening, so you can even stop the camera in the middle of a move if you like.
Terrence Walker
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
MacOS Monterey Version 12.6.2
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Intel Iris Graphics 6100
ZigOtto

Post by ZigOtto »

Fabrice wrote:divide the clip into two smaller clips.
it's sometimes my method too,
I use to truncate my scene into several clips, f.i., for a "Hold-Move-Hold" time profile, I separate the scene in 3 clips,
Clip1 for the starting Hold (first flat part), Clip2 for the moving cam, Clip3 for the ending Hold (last flat part).
then, after setting in Clip2 the Cam moving [CameraFrame A > CameraFrame B] ,
go to Clip1 and RMB-clic the cam handle (center point), and choose "Copy 1rst point of Next Clip",
and in Clip3, idem but choose "Copy last point of Previous Clip",
that technic to garantee the flat section being really flat (no moving at all),
otherwise, when setting the cam profile in a single clip by using one spline,
you will have to "double" the points between a flat section and the moving part of the curve,
... until we got a "rich" new profile mode allowing to mix "Linear"sections and "Spline" sections in the same curve.
( a dutch request if memory serve ...) :)

but in that case, (a loooonnnng pan, then, adding a Zoom-in in the end of the pan, am I right ...?),
I probably will go to separate the camera in one of these 2 ways :
- A - set the camera pan in the initial project, Render Cam in New project, then set the Cam zooming in this new project,
- B - set the moving Pan via the KeyFramer FX (source project > target project), and set the cam zooming in the target project.

for the meantime, I put my vote to add a (horizontal zoom) "Magnify" feature to the time-profile window, + a scolling slider to navigate in the view,
+ the current frame-nb displayed under the blue line, as suggested by Fabrice.
Fabrice wrote:something I think we could add is the number of the current frame, close to the blue vertical line in the graph. that could help to set various positions.
8)