Placing camera move with in specific spot on timeline

Please use this part to report bugs & errors, ask questions & "How to..."
djsolomon

Placing camera move with in specific spot on timeline

Post by djsolomon »

I am trying to place a camera move over a specific group of frames but it keeps ending up spread over the entire time line..
I am taking the profile and dragging it out under the layer but its not making any difference- I hope that this is clear....

thank you,
debra
Paul Fierlinger

Re: Placing camera move with in specific spot on timeline

Post by Paul Fierlinger »

Maintain the profile curve as a flat line along the bottom (or at the top, or in the middle) of the Profile Panel where you want no camera moves. Where you want a zoom or whatever kind of motion will happen where the profile climbs (or dips -- anything but flat). Stretch the Profile to match the length of the timeline so that you can determine on which frames you want a hold and over which frames the camera will move.
Paul
http://www.slocumfilm.com
Desktop PC Win10-Pro -64 bit OS; 32.0 GB RAM
Processor: i7-2600 CPU@3.40GHz
AMD FirePro V7900; Intuos4 Wacom tablet
djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

what if the time line is 2000 frames? Its very hard to pull it out for many frames

stretching it out on entire length is very cumbersome ...is there no other way to peg a camera move with in a layer?
djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

Ps thanks for your quick response Paul !
Best debra
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

djsolomon wrote:I am trying to place a camera move over a specific group of frames but it keeps ending up spread over the entire time line..
I am taking the profile and dragging it out under the layer but its not making any difference- I hope that this is clear....

thank you,
debra
Paul already answered it , but I had made a screen shot showing you how to do it , so I'm going to go ahead and post it . (maybe someone else will find this helpful ) . I'm a big believer in "a picture is worth a thousand words" .

Flat line the profile editor for however many frames you want the camera to stay still.

So let's imagine a 500 frame scene , and let's say you wanted the camera stationary from frame 1 to frame 345 , you would keep the line flat from 1 - to - 345 , then the move starts and continues from 346 - to - 434 and then holds from 435 to 500 so the profile would be a flat line again from 435 to 500 .
TVP_Camera_Move_with_Holds.jpg
(click on the image to see it larger)

djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

HI DTN - Many thanks for the posting...I really appreciate that you went to the trouble ...
For people who dont work in short clips stretching the window out is really cumbersome...it would be great if you could peg in and out point
in a way that does not involve a stretching a window over thousands of frames... the program is so sophisticaed and this is sort of clunky... ( my apologies to anyone is offended ) I do love TVPaint!!!
debra
D.T. Nethery

Post by D.T. Nethery »

djsolomon wrote:HI DTN - Many thanks for the posting...I really appreciate that you went to the trouble ...

For people who dont work in short clips stretching the window out is really cumbersome...it would be great if you could peg in and out point
in a way that does not involve a stretching a window over thousands of frames...
the program is so sophisticaed and this is sort of clunky... ( my apologies to anyone is offended ) I do love TVPaint!!!
debra

I know what you mean , but I don't find that is necessary to stretch the profile editor out over the entire length of the timeline to coordinate the camera move(s) . But I think that would be a good Feature Request to make: to be able to more easily assign the start and stop point for a move .
Fabrice

Post by Fabrice »

something I think we could add is the number of the current frame, close to the blue vertical line in the graph. that could help to set various positions.
Fabrice Debarge
djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

I think if you could set the points of the move but clicking in the time line and the start and stop points in the move ... or creating a layer that is the camera move layer ....
where you could place the move ... that wold be great... I am not a programmer though and I have no idea how this is done... I do appreciate the growth I have seen in the program in the last years... it really is amazing.

my best debra
djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

"but I don't find that is necessary to stretch the profile editor out over the entire length of the timeline to coordinate the camera move(s) "
DT Nethery posted this last night - can someone tell me how to do this? when i place the profiler under the time line the move always starts at the beginning of the time line...that can be more that 1000 frames away-
is there anyway to have the move start just over where you have placed the profiler... ???
my best debra
Paul Fierlinger

Place your cursor on the frame of your timeline where you want your camera move to start. Now look at your Camera Profile. Notice a thin blue line? Thats where your cursors is. Without stretching your profile panel, flatten your profile line up to that point and that's it. Note that Fabrice had mentioned that it might be possible in the future to have the number of that frame show up next to the blue line.
Paul
djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

great will try this now....
thanks Paul!
debra
Paul Fierlinger

Don't forget to select "Spline" so you get a slow in and out in the camera move.
Paul
djsolomon

Post by djsolomon »

ok so how can i plot a long pan with a zoom at the end with ease in and ease out - in this little space?
Attachments
PastedGraphic-1.png
Paul Fierlinger

Well can't you just stretch the panel out a little more? You have 2 or 3 monitors, don't you?
Paul